Steve and Victoria Gore Welcome You to Point Loma
Point Loma is home to the western terminus of Interstate 8, which travels along the Northern end of the peninsula. Rosecrans is the North/South avenue that serves the bayside of Point Loma, while Sunset Cliffs Boulevard is the North/South ocean-side avenue (both streets run parallel to each other in a northeast to southwest route). Sports Arena Boulevard, West Point Loma Boulevard and Nimitz Boulevard are other major traffic pipelines in Point Loma.
Much of the coastal sections, both bay and ocean, are laid out in a grid pattern, with the oceanside blocks larger than the bayside. The grid breaks down as both sides approach the hilly center, which is mainly evident west of Chatsworth Boulevard and east of Catalina and Nimitz Boulevard, where streets have more loopy, curvy patterns.
Perhaps the best known landmark in Point Loma is the Old Point Loma Lighthouse, an icon occasionally used to represent the entire city of San Diego. Perched atop the southern point that creates the entrance of the bay with Coronado, the small, two story lighthouse was completed in 1854 and first lit on November 15, 1855. At 422 feet above sea level at the entrance of the bay, the seemingly good location for a lighthouse soon proved poor, as low clouds and fog often obscured the beam to ocean-going vessels. On March 23, 1891 the lighthouse ceased to be used for its original purpose, as a new lighthouse was built nearer sea level on the same southern point. The Old Point Loma Lighthouse is now partially open to the public and has been refurbished to its historic 1880’s interior.
The Old Point Loma Lighthouse is located within the Cabrillo National Monument, named after Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo, a Portuguese navigator sailing in the service of Spain. Cabrillo was the first Europeanexplorer to see San Diego Bay.