If the El Nino rainfall predictions are correct, now is the time to protect your home from unwanted harm and damage. Here’s a list of ways for you to protect your house from the upcoming showers :
- Fix your leaks
- Clean out your gutters and downspouts
- Invest in a generator
- Install a sump pump : With enough rain, groundwater can invade below-grade spaces such as basements and garages even with good drainage systems in place.
- Paint the exterior wood trim of your house : Cracks in paint can carry water directly into the wood and promote dry rot and termite invasion.
- Store emergency repair materials in a safe dry place (sandbags, heavy plastic sheeting, etc)
- Consider insurance
- Stock up on supplies in the event of a loss of power : canned food, water, cash, flashlights, batteries, etc